Monday, March 29, 2010

Lab 8 - Aquatic Ecology: Abiotic Components

Aquatic Ecology is a lab that is split into two weeks, the first covering abiotic factors, and the second covering biotic factors. The abiotic factors consist of heading outside to Lake Wells on the campus of Georgia Southern University. There the class took measurements of the quality of water to determine the lake’s health. Measurements covered water temperature, dissolved oxygen, pH, conductivity, nitrate and phosphate. The class was divided into groups and measured each factor. From there, the class went back to the classroom to finish up questions and come to a consensus on the water quality of Lake Wells.

This week consisted of my last week actually teaching the classes. I chose to teach abiotic factors because I wanted to gain both an indoor and outdoor teaching experience. The class started off with a quiz, but then I took over from there. I explained my lecture on abiotic components, covering reasons such as why we measure the quality of water, as well as what affects the quality. As my lecture concluded, I explained the instruments the class would be using. I then demonstrated the use of the meters, explained how the nitrate and phosphate test kits worked, and covered safety with said chemicals. I wanted to be sure that everyone knew the correct procedures before we went outside, where talking to the entire class would become a bit more complicated.

I led the class outside to our testing site, and then let them work amongst their groups to test the water. I made sure no one strayed, and went from group to group, giving advice and answering questions. Once everyone finished, we went back to the classroom, where I made a few final points about Lake Wells’s water quality before I let them leave.

Overall, teaching outside was an insightful experience. Keeping control of the class did not end up being too hard, as my classes have always been well behaved. I did enjoy making the final points at the end of class because I think that they really drove home the point of the lab and hopefully will stay in their minds. The only thing that could have helped this more would be the addition of another water sample test site to compare Lake Wells to. To me, I believe that I have improved significantly from my first time teaching three weeks ago. I feel more confident about my ability to address the class and deliver a well-spoken lecture, as well as to effectively lead students in lab work. Once I had gotten over my first time in front of people as a teacher, I have definitely felt more at ease in the classroom, and now I look forward to the next time I can teach.




Here I am demonstrating the proper use of the conductivity meter.

No comments: